Serious errors in the adoption paperwork sent to Canadian Immigration in Nairobi are likely the cause for the delay in securing a travel Visa for Hayley. The "adoption decree" issued by the Ethiopian courts had two serious errors on it. This "decree" is the paperwork that makes Hayley legally my child. Apparently the courts use a template and "fill in the blanks." Some of the information from a court adoption proceeding that occurred the same day as mine was left in my paperwork. My name was not anywhere on Hayley's adoption decree. The adoptive parents were listed as Bob and Jane Doe (name changed), a couple also from Canada. The first place in the document that lists the adoptive child's name, listed the name of the child that Bob and Jane Doe adopted. There are two other places in the document where Hayley Tarikua's name is listed correctly as well as some other information that pertains only to her case.
This erroneous document was translated and included with all of the other paperwork sent last February on my behalf to Canadian Immigration in Nairobi by my adoption agency's agent in Ethiopia. The problem was subsequently discovered and the court was petitioned to correct the document and reissue it. A corrected translation was then secured and sent to Canadian Immigration in Nairobi. I do not know when the mistake was discovered and corrected. I am trying to find this out from my adoption agency (CAFAC), but they have to ask their agent in Ethiopia.
Those are the facts as I understand them. The good news is that this is a clerical error that can eventually be resolved. The bad news is of course that Hayley remains in an orphanage and I remain helpless to do anything about it.
That's all the news...
Tisha
BTW I have an awesome opportunity to go horseback-riding in "the bush" in Northern Alberta for a week next week so I will be incommunicado! Yee-haw!!!