Thursday, July 8, 2010

Current Adoption Status and Timetable

Hello All,

Currently I am waiting for Canadian Immigration in Nairobi to issue a "travel Visa" which will allow Hayley to become a Permanent Resident of Canada when we arrive at the airport here. I can not bring her into the country without it and I can not set a date to travel to pick her up until we receive that "Visa." Normally this process takes 2 to 3 months. However, my paperwork has been at Canadian Immigration in Nairobi for 5 months with no explanation of why it has been delayed. I contacted my MP this week (for the American readers that's the equivalent of my Congressman) to see if we can get any answers.

Timetable

1. April '07 initial contact with adoption agency. Ethiopia chosen as country to adopt from. At this time adoptions from there were taking 18 to 24 months.
2. September '07 "home study" completed by social worker to insure I will provide a good home for an adopted child.
3. November of '07 Completed paper work arrives in Ethiopia and the wait for a "placement" begins.
4. July '09 I am "placed" with a 1 month old baby girl who I have named Hayley.
5. December '09 Ethiopian court makes Hayley legally my child.
6. February '10 Completed paperwork submitted to the Canadian Immigration office in Nairobi for the issuance of a travel Visa.
7. June 21st 2010 Hayley turns one year old and continues to be well cared for at the orphanage in Addis Ababa.

That's the story,
Tisha